fbpx

Join the Conversation

Notifications
Clear all

This site is still in beta testing so please excuse any performance issues. If you find a problem, by all means let us know in the "How can we make this site more useful" forum.  Thanks and enjoy!

How can I work out without my gym?  

FreeAssociates
(@freeassoc)
Worklife@Home Team Admin

Some of us are good about working out three days a week in the mornings before work. Now what? We may feel like a couch potato. What can we do at home to stay strong and keep moving?

This topic was modified 7 months ago by FreeAssociates
Posted : 26/03/2020 6:02 am
FreeAssociates
(@freeassoc)
Worklife@Home Team Admin

There are lots of takes on this, but former California governor and sometime Terminator Arnold Schwarzenegger just released an at-home fitness regime for all us remote workers.

With minimal equipment and the weight of your own body, you can stay in shape while we wait out COVID-19. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/25/arnold-schwarzenegger-shared-his-home-workout-routine-on-reddit.html

And don't forget walking! Fresh air and sunlight help your immune system and fend off depression. Just stay 6 feet or more away from other people. When you get home, it's a good idea to remove your shoes (so you don't track any virus-laden dust particles around your house) and definitely wash your hands. Also, avoid touching your face while you're out and about.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/03/2020 12:22 am
Tim Miller
(@timm)

Thanks for the Schwarzenegger post. I had heard about this routine of his. I'm missing my gym time. I wonder if push-ups with a kid sitting on your back are a thing?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/03/2020 12:54 am
Lizzybeth
(@lizzybeth)

@timm You can definitely do yoga at home. I can't take my yoga classes right now, but I'm managing to (more or less) keep up to speed in the mornings while my daughters watch a little TV. Sometimes they even do it with me! Yoga keeps you strong and flexible, though probably doesn't build muscles like Arnold's. I hope not! ??

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/03/2020 8:13 pm
Amy BC
 Amy BC
(@Amy BC)

I love Yoga with Adriene and we do Cosmic Kids Yoga for the kid!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2020 7:09 pm
WorkingStiff
(@workingstiff)

At this point, I'll try anything! Seriously, the Arnold stuff looks great, and the yoga, too. Gotta do something besides whine about not being able to do all the things I want to. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2020 9:54 pm
Tim Miller and flavia liked
flavia
(@flavia)

For $18/month Glo.com offers a subscription to unlimited yoga classes and they even have mat pilates and meditation classes. Many classes can be done without props, but if you have a few basic pieces of yoga equipment at home (eg strap and blocks) you can do all the classes. They have a variety of levels and variety of types of yoga (from stretchy, slow yoga to kundalini to difficult and intense vinyasas, so there's something for everyone, even first-time yogis!). Also, even if I only do 1 class per month the subscription fee is guilt-free. 🙂 

You can also get a TRX system at home (around $150-200 for workout straps you can attach to a door) and it comes with a year free subscription to a variety of in-home workouts. The workouts work the entire body and all muscles. 

This post was modified 7 months ago by flavia
ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/04/2020 8:21 pm

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: